News

Fire at Germain causes $1M in damage

COLUMBUS, Ohio –  A fire that burned for nearly an hour caused major damage but no injuries at a Northwest Side auto dealership this morning was ruled accidental, according to a spokesman for the Columbus Division of Fire.

The fire at Germain Ford, 7250 Sawmill Road, broke out on the roof of a building under construction at the dealership, Firefighter William Ehrgood said.

It was appparently caused by a construction worker’s power saw.

The damage to the building was estimated at $1 million, Ehrgood said.

Firefighters who responded to the reported fire at 11:09 a.m. found flames coming from the roof of the building and the incident commander ordered crews into a defensive operation because of the amount of fire involved, Ehrgood said.

Firefighters contained to one section of the building and it was brought under control at 11:50 a.m.

Most of the damages were confined to the parts department with smoke and water damage elsewhere, Ehrgood said.

Weather Watch Sponsored By

Featured Events

News

in Entertainment

See what’s new on Netflix this month

17-overlay6

Are you over fireworks and cookouts? Stay inside and binge on these movies and shows that are now showing on Netflix.

in Entertainment, Sports

Mayweather, Pacquiao, Perry among the ‘best paid’ celebrities

maypac

Musicians and athletes dominate the world's highest-paid celebs, according to the latest rankings.

in Entertainment, National

Celebrate safely with these fireworks tips

Since Independence Day falls during the work week, members of St. Richard Catholic Church celebrated the holiday on Sunday, June 30, 2013, with a picnic-style outing complete with fireworks that could be seen throughout the northeast Jackson, Miss. neighborhood. The long streamers were recorded in a 13-second time exposure. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)

Don't be one of the thousands of Americans injured by fireworks on July Fourth. Stay safe and have a happy holiday!