COLUMBUS, Ohio â€“ The State Fire Marshalâ€™s office says several space heaters and multi-plug electrical adapters were being used in a home on Buckeye Lake when it caught fire Thursday, leaving an elderly couple dead.
Phalen says five other people in the home escaped.
The official point of origin and the exact cause are still under investigation but Fire Marshal Larry Flowersâ€™ office says the fire started on the right-side of the house, in the general area where the Claggsâ€™ bodies were found.
The Division of State Fire Marshal, Thornville Fire Department and Fairfield County Sheriffâ€™s Office are investigating the fire.
Investigators say there were multiple space heaters throughout the home and were located in proximity to combustible materials, Flowers said.
Several electrical outlets had multi-plug adapters, allowing for extension cords to power the multiple heaters and other electrical devices.
Flowers says space heaters and other alternative heaters should be kept at least 3 feet away from combustible materials.
Flowers has additional safety recommendations:
Space heaters should not run continuously and should not be used as a primary heating source.
Extension cords are a temporary solution only, and their use should be minimized whenever possible.
Do not overload outlets with multiple adaptors or power strips; relocate cords instead.